Students majoring in global health studies may graduate with honors in the major. Students who complete the Honors Global Health Studies curriculum build skills (such as researching, writing, editing, and presenting), and relationships (with faculty mentors who share their passion for a research topic) which will last a life time. Graduating with honors in global health studies demonstrates a commitment to academic excellence which can be a valuable distinction when applying for post-graduation opportunities.
Students who choose to graduate with honors in the major must satisfy these requirements:
- maintain a cumulative University of Iowa g.p.a. of at least 3.33 and a g.p.a. of at least 3.33 in all work for the major;
- complete a minimum of 6 s.h. of honors or contract honors courses in their global health studies major coursework;
- complete GHS:3010 - Identifying and Developing a Global Health Project followed by GHS:4991 - Honors Thesis in Global Health Studies as their capstone experience;
- enroll in GHS:4992 - Global Health Studies Honors Cohort (0 s.h.) with the Global Health Studies Honors Advisor during the semester in which GHS:4991 will be completed;
- submit an acceptable honors thesis (GHS students receive an email from the Global Health Studies Program on the Tuesday of finals week that their GHS Honors Thesis has either been approved, or that they must meet with the GHS Honors Advisor to discuss options); and
- give an oral or poster presentation of research findings at a venue approved by the Global Health Studies Program (such as the FURF or SURF Undergraduate Research Festivals).
Visit the Honors Thesis in Global Health Studies page for more information.
University of Iowa Honors Program
In addition to honors in the major, students may pursue honors study and activities through membership in the University of Iowa Honors Program. University honors students must maintain a 3.33 g.p.a., complete 12 s.h. of coursework designated as honors courses, and complete 12 s.h. of an experiential learning project. Visit Honors at Iowa to learn about the University's honors program.
NOTE: Membership in the UI Honors Program is not required to earn honors in the global health studies major.